Marseille: Housing collapse claims eight lives

It’s a miracle that accidents don’t happen every day in Marseille,” says an anonymous expert from the TGI (Tribunal de grande instance de Marseille), among other things, about what happened on 5 November 2018 in the district of Noailles, Marseille. Two dilapidated houses collapsed in the morning and eight people were buried in the rubble. The doors of the first house, which has been classified as dilapidated since 2008, were locked or bricked up, but neighbours suspect that squatters have nevertheless gained access. In the second collapsed house, from which chunks of the façade had already broken out in September of this year, there were nine apartments, inhabited by couples and families. But these houses are by no means the only ones in a precarious condition. A government survey carried out in 2015 showed that 40,000 houses (out of a population of around 100,000) were “a risk to health or safety”. In the Noailles district, 48 percent of the building stock is considered dilapidated and inhumane.

The anger of the inhabitants is increasing. On the one hand, it is the homeowners who, even when renovation work is long overdue, only have to do the bare essentials; on the other hand, it is the municipal authorities who do not lift a finger when renovating houses or building social housing. On 14 November 2018, citizens, social organisations and interest groups commemorated the victims during a protest march with around 8,000 demonstrators.

The lack of social housing is also what forces many people to move into dilapidated houses, says Florent Houdmon, who works for the Abbé Pierre Foundation in the greater Marseille area against poverty and housing shortages. Nowhere else in France would such conditions exist. It’s no coincidence that the houses of the poor, of all people, are collapsing, as Jean-Luc Mélenchon of France Insoumise is sure when he expresses the thoughts of numerous residents of Marseille.

A technical explanation for the collapses could be the rainfalls that occurred days before, which are also held responsible for the cracks in the walls and a front door that no longer fits into the frame. However, this does not explain the lack of implementation of the principle of renovation that had already been adopted 20 years earlier, as Patrick Lacoste from the citizens’ initiative “A city centre for all” makes clear. Now the public prosecutor’s office is investigating for negligent homicide. Jean-Claude Gaudin, Mayor of Marseille since 1995, who was strongly criticised for the incidents, admitted for the first time on Sunday that he had not done enough in the fight against the dilapidated housing conditions. Insight as the first step towards improvement? It will come to light. It remains to be hoped that this incident will remain a unique example which will bring the city administration to action.

 

Marseille: Häusereinsturz fordert acht Tote

„Es ist ein Wunder, dass es nicht jeden Tag Unfälle in Marseille gibt“, sagt ein anonymer Experte des TGI (Tribunal de grande instance de Marseille) unter Anderem in Bezug auf die Vorkommnisse am 05. November 2018 im Stadtteil Noailles, Marseille. Dort waren am Vormittag zwei marode Häuser eingestürzt, und hatten acht Menschen in den Trümmern unter sich begraben. Die Türen des ersten Hauses, welches bereits seit 2008 als baufällig eingestuft wird, waren zwar verriegelt oder zugemauert, doch von Nachbarn wird vermutet, dass sich Hausbesetzer dennoch einen Zugang verschafft haben. Im zweiten eingestürzten Haus, aus dem schon im September diesen Jahres Brocken der Fassade herausgebrochen waren, befanden sich neun Wohnungen, bewohnt von Paaren und Familien. Doch diese Häuser sind bei Weitem nicht die Einzigen, die sich in einem bedenklichen Zustand befinden. Eine staatliche Untersuchung des Jahres 2015 hat ergeben, dass 40‘000 Häuser (was circa 100‘000 Bewohner betrifft) „ein Risiko für die Gesundheit oder die Sicherheit“ darstellen. Im Stadtteil Noailles gelten gar 48 Prozent des Baubestandes als heruntergekommen und menschenunwürdig.

Der Zorn der Bewohner nimmt zu. Einerseits auf die Hausbesitzer, die selbst bei längst überfälligen Sanierungsarbeiten nur das Allernötigste zu tun pflegen; andererseits auf die Stadtverwaltung, die bei Renovierungsarbeiten der Häuser sowie auch beim Sozialwohnungsbau keinen Finger rührt. Am 14. November 2018 haben bei einem Protestmarsch mit etwa 8000 Demonstranten Bürger, soziale Organisationen und Interessenverbände der Opfer gedacht. 

Der Mangel an Sozialwohnungen sei es auch, was viele Menschen dazu zwänge, in baufällige Häuser zu ziehen, meint Florent Houdmon, der sich für die Stiftung Abbé Pierre im Grossraum Marseille gegen Armut und Wohnungsnot einsetzt. Solche Zustände gäbe es nirgendwo sonst in Frankreich. Dass ausgerechnet die Häuser der Armen einstürzen, sei kein Zufall, dessen ist sich auch der Linkspolitiker Jean-Luc Mélenchon von France Insoumise sicher, wenn er die Gedanken zahlreicher Bewohner Marseilles ausspricht.

Eine technische Erklärung für die Einstürze könnten die Tage zuvor aufgetretenen Regenfälle sein, welche auch für die Risse in den Wänden und eine nicht mehr in den Rahmen passende Haustür verantwortlich gemacht werden. Dennoch erklärt dies nicht die fehlende Umsetzung des bereits 20 Jahre zuvor beschlossenen Grundsatzes zur Sanierung, wie Patrick Lacoste von der Bürgerinitiative „Ein Stadtzentrum für alle“ klar stellt. Nun ermittelt die Staatsanwaltschaft wegen fahrlässiger Tötung. Jean-Claude Gaudin, seit 1995 Bürgermeister von Marseille, der aufgrund der Vorkommnisse stark kritisiert wurde, gab am Sonntag danach erstmals zu, nicht genug getan zu haben im Kampf gegen die heruntergekommenen Wohnverhältnisse. Einsicht als erster Schritt zur Besserung? Es wird sich zeigen. Bleibt zu hoffen, dass dieser Vorfall ein einmaliges Exempel bleibt, welches die Stadtverwaltung zum Handeln bringt.